
I would like to start off by wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas! This is the time of the year were we all act a little nicer, feel a little more generous and talk to those we should be in contact with more. It is also the time where we count our blessings and are thankful for what we have. It is a shame that most of us only do this once a year. We can be thankful this year that most major companies such as Wal-Mart put in place an anti, anti-Christmas plan where they are bringing back saying Merry Christmas to their customers. Regardless of the religious connotation Christmas has, it is sad to think in the past couple of years we have had to alter our greetings and emphasize the commercial aspect of the holiday. I worked 5 years in the childcare field and were we followed public school regulations which meant being prohibited from playing any music or reading any books which had a hint of a religious tone. Funny thing was all the children in my group celebrated Christmas, but still it was taboo.
I find myself really missing my childhood Christmas in Montreal more and more these days. Since buying the house I have started my own traditions that are wonderful but it is never the same as it was back then partly because I am in a different province now and understandably family find it far to travel at such a busy time of year. Christmas Eve was always spent with mom's side of the family and we always had a full house. It was filled with aunt's, uncle's, grandparents and cousins. We would go to midnight mass at St. Brendan's, come back to a midnight meal and I would be sent off to bed. As aunt Lucy and uncle Midas would go home that night and as he would never leave till he saw me open my presents, they would quickly get everything under the tree as I was in bed and he would wake me up once Santa had arrived. I can remember the feeling of sitting by the window in our back room listening to the radio tracking where Santa was at that exact moment. Christmas Day was spent with Dad's side of the family and again it was another full house. We would fill our bellies with Nanny's amazing meat pies and fruit cake till we could eat no more and then gather around the tree opening gifts. As I became a teenager, I would help out with the St. Brendan's Christmas Basket program. On Christmas Eve day we would all gather in the church hall filling boxes with food and toys and then spend the day delivering them. I will never forget the last year I did it before we moved. It was the last house on our list and almost 5pm. A man came to the door and proceeded to cry as he saw us as he thought we had misplaced his name somehow and he would have nothing to give his family. That was the moment in my life that put the real meaning of Christmas in perspective.
What I think I miss most of my childhood Christmas was believing in Santa Claus. The magic associated with him and thinking someone like him was out there making sure those children who were less fortunate, for one day, were not being forgotten. I remember the day a classmate broke the news to Nadia and I that Santa was not a real person. If my memory serves me right, we did not take it well at all and proceeded to rough him up. Poor Matthew, he didn't know what hit him!
If anyone out there still logs onto this blog every once in a while, I welcome you to post a comment and share you favorite holiday memories, recipes or traditions. Not to sound corny, but it is the most wonderful time of the year and I love the idea of sharing the most wonderful aspects of this holiday so we never forget the true meaning and maybe, just maybe, make an effort to continue the feeling all year long.
From my family to yours, have a wonderful Christmas!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home